One of the most fun things about babies is dressing them in the cutest outfits you could find. Onesies, footed sleepers, dresses, cute layette, sweaters with animal ears, the list goes on and on. Once people find out you are having a girl- it is pink galore! Light pink, dark pink, baby pink (yes there is a difference), pink pink pink!!
Dressing a child in a Plavik Harness is a bit of a challenge. For one thing, most of the time, even though they are a certain size, you have to go much larger because of the way the harness grabs the clothes, and the extension of the hip creates a longer rise. The clothes must go under the harness (mostly), because you do not want the straps of the harness to rub against the delicate baby skin. With that being said, it makes the baby wearing anything on her legs nearly impossible. This is because you do not want anything to interfere with the all important diaper change. You cannot take off the Harness during the day (well shouldn't), and Colleen only gets one hour of freedom from her imprisonment daily. Plus getting the Harness on and off is an adventure to begin with and should be avoided at all costs. So here is how she is dressed- long sleeved onesie, a pair of my trouser socks cut up (I cut them at the foot and use that side up on her thigh so the elastic does not pinch her cute thighs), a pair of her socks, and a sleep sack. The Halo sleep sack works wonders. It is roomy, warm, and fleece. It is sleeveless so she does not over heat. Be aware that the sack does bunch up a little, so when I am holding her I sometimes pull it down so it does not cover her face. During the day if it is warm, I will take her out of the sack and gently wrap her legs in a large receiving blanket. We love the Aden and Anais ones. They are made of muslin and are extra large. They are a little pricey, but worth it.
I have read that large dresses work well, and leggings. I ordered the leggings and am waiting to try them out. The leggings will go over the harness, and hopefully help with the velcro (which is absurdly annoying).
Tip- do not wear anything that will pill or bunch while holding a baby who is wearing a harness- the velcro has a mind of its own and loves to grab onto anything.
Avoid dressing anything too fussy on your baby. Simple is better. If you long for the cuteness- invest in cute onesies, decorate the sleep sac, buy some cute leggings (I got Colleen pirate ones!), or cute hats. If your child tends to be a messy eater, use lots of blankets or bibs to cover the harness while eating. Washing the harness is a pain and formula on a harness would probably get really nasty.
Bottom line- I realized I was more worried about what she is wearing than she was. As long as your baby is warm and comfortable, they really don't care that they have the same three onesies they have been wearing over and over. They do not care about the cute elephant footed pajamas they cannot wear, or that an entire of step of clothing is now not being warn. They want to be clean and comfy. They want to wear something that will not abrade their legs or neck (watch out for that- the shoulder straps love to pinch little neck folds). You may want to invest in the extra onesies only for your sanity- so you are not doing laundry every two minutes (well, I still do, but that is an entirely different blog).
No comments:
Post a Comment